When assessing your budget for your dream property, you will need to consider the additional costs that are likely to arise during your purchase – such as fees, taxes and exchange rate fluctuations. This will all be part of your overall budget, and determine how much you can actually spend on the property itself.
These costs could include solicitor fees, notaire fees, transfer tax, registration fees, estate agent fees and potentially a survey. We generally recommend that you allow up to 15% of your purchase cost for all fees and services – and this is before you think about insurance costs and bills and fees for maintaining your life in Spain.
We recommend taking the following into consideration
- The total amount of money you have available to purchase a property
- If you buy with a mortgage, how much of a deposit will you need? How will the repayments be made?
- The possibility of re-mortgaging your UK home to release equity
- The costs that come with buying property (i.e. taxes and fees)
- The cost of maintaining the property and spending time there
- Your maximum purchase price, taking all of the above into account